Friday, July 9, 2010

Operation De-Clutter

I have never watched the show Hoarders but I'm pretty sure that my house is on its way to being a prime candidate for that show. I have been so stressed out with the state of my house that I have avoided all rooms that are becoming a major problem. We clean the bathroom, living room, and kitchen pretty often. The bedroom gets very cluttered. The office is just a scary place. Isaac's room stays relatively clean. We are getting ready to move Isaac into the office to give him a little more space and so we only have to redecorate one room completely. I have lots of ideas for his room but we there is so much work to be done!

I read an article called "Basket Case" by Mary Mohler in Ladies' Home Journal. It was all about people who clutter up their houses and don't realize it until it is too late. That is me! I related to this article so much that I actually stopped reading it on the second page and went to start working on our bedroom. Mohler says to start small and do just one room at a time. The experts actually say that you should start in the bedroom because it "sets the emotional tone and drives the energy for the whole house." It's so true. I hate to go into my bedroom because I'm tripping over stuff that I just don't have space for and my dresser is covered with crap that I just don't know what to do with. I feel like I have gotten to the point where I can just throw stuff away and not care. So that's what I started doing.

I got rid of earrings that didn't have a match, hung all my necklaces on my jewelry pedestal, and through away anything that was ruined or broken. I went through my clothes and got rid of anything that I don't wear or didn't fit. I cleaned out the closet and the dresser drawers. The room isn't completely done but I feel like it is so much better and it's on its way to being a clutter free zone!

The office will be next since it is going to be Isaac's room, hopefully, before the end of the summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on your progress, Gina! Weeding the garden is good for the mind, body and soul!

Our house is blessed (or cursed) with lots of little rooms... so we have stuff stashed everywhere--- I still struggle with finding the perfect place for everything... that perfection causes my productivity to screech to a halt...

Anyway, good luck in your weeding! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

ps- you need to keep updating your blog! :)

Jen said...

Hooray for decluttering! Alex and I just listed stuff on Amazon last night. And I plan on tackling our bedroom this weekend.

I agree with Mel. Keep updating the blog. We love it (and you)!!!